Saturday 12 May 2012

Quilts away!

Red coffee berries at Gary's Carool Mountain Coffee farm.  Not quite ripe enough to pick yet, but very pretty.
Early morning light over the farm at Carool.  Just love the haze and sense of calm.
This is my first patchwork tablecloth made in 2010 -   I really like Kaffe Fasset and his use of colour and design.  I love moving the colours around the design.  This is a very cheerful tablecloth that I made for the farm at Carool.  That's why the photos of Carool are above.  I think it looks perfect on the dining table in the country kitchen ...


A beautiful red and green chequerboard I made in 2002.  This quilt looks fantastic and lives on mum and dad's  bed Blue Mountains holiday house.   Its very cheerful and made from many warm reds, oranges and yellows and contrasted with many greens and blues.   This photo was taken of my quilt hanging in the 2011 NSW Quilter's Guild show.

My Japanese lattice made over 2010-11  - blues and blacks with  splashes of red and  pale blue and cream to lift the design,  This is the most complicated quit I have made so far.  This photo was taken at the 2011 NSW Quilter's Guild show as well.
Did I mention that I love Amsterdam?  I do. I wanted to go back.  I want to go back again.  I had a lovely holiday there last winter just before Christmas.   The  winter sunlight was really low and often hidden away and just came out in time for this photo.
Amsterdam canals in low late morning wintery sunlight.  How spectacular is this!
The row houses along the canals in Amsterdam are beautiful in their uprightness and symmetry.  All the same yet all somehow very individual.  With their tall windows, european colours and styled interiors, I like to imagine living there, overlooking the canals. Miriam's Amsterdam fantasy ...  oh and I could ride my bike - perfect!
I found a really nice bistro in Amsterdam.  Located on a street corner that overlooked the canal,  it was a great place to visit and revisit - I wish I had found it earlier!  I wish I could pop round there every day for lunch and a coffee.  The window bench I liked to sit at had lovely potted phaelonopsis orchids  and the great view.

Here it is- ~ My red dutch flower quilt recently finished in 2012.  I bought this reproduction antique florals in Amsterdam on my holiday last year.  Quite by coincidence, I  found two patchwork shops near my hotel and of course I had to look!  And of course I had to buy something! The antique reds florals really caught my eye.  Did I say I love red ~ especially Indian reds that the Dutch use in their fabrics?  Its the most traditional quilt I have made to date.   I love the variety of deep and bright reds and the tree of life motif that forms the main panels.






No comments:

Post a Comment